THE CHELEM LEGEND FOOL MOON -ENGLISH VERSIONThe Train Theater
A theatrical adaptation based on the humorous stories of Chelem and Eastern European Jewish folklore. Leimech and Laizer set out on an adventure to find a new moon for the town of Chelem to replace the one that was stolen.
The plot unfolds via a pop-up book, combined with puppets and shadows and incorporating original klezmer.
The show has won numerous prizes and performs at festivals around the world.
Winner of the Prize for Set Design and Props at the 2012 Haifa International Festival of Children's Theatre
From the reviews
Galia Levy Grad has created a world of magic and beauty using the simplest, most minimalist techniques: the entire drama materializes out of a pop-up picture book. The visibility of the theatrical mechanism to the audience only serves to enhance the magic and liveliness of the two-dimensional figures. Galia has created exhilarating theatrical moments by means of inventive, aesthetic and highly imaginative elements.
comments by the Judges’ Panel, 22nd Haifa International Children's Theatre Festival, 2012
A brilliant adaptation of the Chelm stories for paper theater, created jointly by Naomi Yoeli and Galia Levy Grad. (The latter is also the narrator and manipulates the characters, engaging in lively dialogue with them.) It’s impossible not to fall in love with Levy Grad, who brings to life the townspeople made of beautifully decorated papercuts; they appear, in fact, from an old book of tales, like pop-up postcards. The show reminds us of the true magic of theater and is an extraordinary glimpse at some wonderful stories from Jewish culture.
Merav Yudilovitch, Ynet
One of the tasty treats that makes this festival so sweet and special and leaves you wanting more is ‘The Chelm Legend: Fool Moon.’ Naomi Yoeli, director and co-writer, has enjoyed past success infusing new life into an old story (in ‘The Sleeping Rose,’ a Train Theater production). It appears that the combination of these two artists, each familiar with different aspects of the theater profession, has generated a unique show that speaks to people, young and old alike.
Nurit Assayag, Achbar Ha’Ir
The play was amazing. Content, originality, imagination, execution. It was so special and fancy. There are no words in my mouth.
I do not remember being amazed such children's theater Deborah Moy
- Regional Library Director Haspin
Participation in festivals
- Museo Ebraico di Venezia, Italy 2017
- Mexico City, 2017
- Gavroche, Moscow, Russia 2016
- Starke Stücke, Germany 2016
- International Festival of Puppet Theater, Jerusalem
- 22nd Haifa International Festival of Children's Theater
- International Festival of Puppet Theater and Film, Holon
- XVII Festival Internacional de Teatre de Teresetes, Mallorca, Spain, 2015
- Arrivano del Mare, Festival Internazionale dei Burattini e delle Figure, Italy, 2015
- Izmir International Puppet Days, Izmir, Turkey, 2014
- 12th International Puppet Theater Festival Lutke, Ljubljana, Slovenia, 2014
- 10th Synergura International Puppet Theater Festival, Erfurt, Germany, 2014
- The Festival of Wonder, Silkeborg, Denmark, 2013