Yeung Fai - Master Class
Masterclass in Chinese Glove Puppets
Presented by Master Yeung Fai
A practical workshop on the technical manipulation of glove puppets from traditional and contemporary Chinese perspectives ─ for professional puppeteers, students of the Puppet Theater, dancers and performers with an interest in bodywork and the visual theater
- history of Chinese glove puppet theater
- manipulation of Chinese glove puppets with an emphasis on dramatic manipulation and work with a partner
- improvisation with puppets, incorporating traditional Chinese themes or without restrictions
- enabling participants to experience and discover the creative dramatic characteristics of this art form
Intensive instruction in the technical basis of Chinese glove puppetry in a practical manner
- exercises to develop the finger muscles and hand joint flexibility
- fingering and hand expression when manipulating glove puppets or working with bare hands
- puppet movements, including walking and jumping; passing the puppet from hand to hand; awareness of its weight; building a character and staging fights with the assistance of the puppet.
About Yeung Fai
Born in China in 1964, he was trained as a puppeteer from the age of 4 and represents the fifth generation of a family of famous puppeteers. Today he lives in Paris, creating and performing puppet theater in Europe and Asia. Yeung Fai is considered to be one of the premiere Chinese directors in the world and among the most important creators and puppeteers of today.
The artist will bring puppets which will be used by the masterclass participants.
The masterclass will be in English, with Hebrew translation available.
The workshop will begin with warmup exercises for the body and fingers, learning puppet manipulation techniques, and training and repetition of the exercises.
The second part of the workshop will concentrate on complex puppet manipulations; creating a character and interaction with other characters; and improvisation exercises with individuals, in pairs and as a group, based on traditional and contemporary scenarios.
The workshop is supported by
Israel National Lottery Council for the Arts
When and where?
The Train Theater venue, Jerusalem.3 days:
- Wednesday, 10 August 2016, 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Thursday, 11 August 2016, 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM
- Friday, 12 August 2016, 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Cost: 880 NIS* / 700 NIS for students of puppet theater schools
*an extra discount is available for puppeteers of the Train Theater
For further details and registration, please contact Tammy: 02-561-8514, extension 118 or firstname.lastname@example.org